Past Pupil Sadie tells us about the benefits of Little Voices in her career
Where are you now? (eg. college/uni/career and location in the world)
- I am currently living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, after taking a last minute job role with 2 weeks notice I had to pack up my life and move over here! I am a Women’s Footwear Merchandising Intern at Tommy Hilfiger International Head Office. I am on a placement year from the University of Manchester where I study Design Management for Fashion Retailing BSc Hons.
What are your aspirations for the future?
- I hope to create my own fashion brand and take on the role of Director and Head Buyer within this, focusing on fast fashion which is affordable but super chic! I plan on moving to Australia in September 2016 to complete a Masters in Fashion Business at the Fashion Institute in Sydney to help further my knowledge in fashion!
When did you first join Little Voices?
- I joined Little Voices in 2006 and stayed throughout School and Sixth form until I left for university.
How did you/your parents hear about Little Voices?
- I heard about Little Voices through the co founder, Jane herself, as the business was founded just as I was to join
What made you attend and stay with Little Voices?
- I had some of the best nights at Little Voices, and made some friends that I will have for life, the pure talent of the teachers inspired me learn more, and I was completely obsessed with Drama and Singing throughout (and still to this day)
How do you think Little Voices has helped you – is there a direct correlation between what you are doing now and your attendance at Little Voices?
- Little Voices gave me confidence to work solo, and as a team which has helped me significantly now. It helped me with my presentation skills, vocal skills, which I am constantly using in work presentations. Little Voices made me realize that in life you have to remove yourself from you’re comfort zones. I highly doubt I would have moved countries, to a Dutch speaking country with no family or friends if I didn’t have the confidence Little Voices gave me
What did you love about your lessons?
- I loved the freedom of the lessons, and the structure of the lessons (one week singing, one week drama). The teachers made you feel so comfortable, and the other pupils were great to get along with. Having the choice of musicals and plays meant you always had the freedom to choose characters. Little Voices expanded my vocal range, and dramatic skills which have significantly impacted my life today.
Can you give a one line quote/advice for those wishing to follow in your footsteps? (what they should absolutely do to reach their dreams?)
My quote I live by “Spend a little more time trying to make something of yourself & a little less time trying to impress people”